Affectionately known by the locals as the second largest Paris in the world, Paris, Texas is the county seat of Lamar County and home to over 25,000 residents. Incorporated in 1845 from donated land by the Republic of Texas, Paris began as a cattle and farming town but later became a major railroad center by the late 1800’s. Paris was also home to Camp Maxley, a US Army base that served as an internment center for German prisoners of war during World War Two. Over the course of its history, Paris has had to undergo several reconstructions, three times from large fires that nearly destroyed the city and one time in 1982 when a F4 tornado struck the town.
The town’s famous name and unofficial slogan has put Paris in the middle of a friendly rivalry with several other cities across the United States that share the same name. The most famous example of this rivalry was with Paris, Tennessee. In 1993, the town of Paris, TN constructed a 60 foot replica of the Eiffel Tower. At that time, Paris, TX had its own version of the Eiffel Tower but slightly shorter. Not to be outdone, Paris, TX decided to place a giant red cowboy hat on top of its tower, which increased the tower’s height to 65 feet. This Eiffel Tower replica with the red cowboy hat now serves as the official town logo.
For more details on Paris, TX, take a t look at.
Happenings in Paris, TX
Lamar County Chamber of Commerce