Sulphur Springs, Texas is located along Interstate 30 between Dallas, TX and Texarkana. The town was founded in the late 1840s by pioneers who began camping in the area to take advantage of the nearby springs of sulphur water. Originally, called Bright Star, the town became the county seat of Hopkins County, Texas in 1870 and one year later, was renamed to Sulphur Springs. In 1872, when a railroad was built through Sulphur Springs, word about the city’s mineral springs and sulphur baths began to spread and the city became a popular tourist destination.
Sulphur Springs is also known for being home to many beautiful parks. Many of the parks include nature trails, lakes, camping grounds, bird watching spots, sports fields, fishing piers, picnic areas, and playgrounds. The city’s main parks include Coleman Park, Cooper Lake State Park, and Buford Park. Finally, an unusual attraction of Sulphur Springs is a glass public bathroom that was erected in the town square in 2013. The inspiration for the bathroom came from European Artist, Monica Bonvicini, who created the concept of the see-through bathroom. The glass bathroom is made out of one-way mirrors so users can see out but nobody can see in.