Free or Budget-Friendly MDN Events in March 2019
by Cash Store Staff
Free Family-Friendly Events
- 03/02 - Saturday Science at Discovery: Spring in your Step - Madison Learn about all things spring at this free monthly event for kids and families! Explore what causes the seasons to change, discover the physics behind metal springs, get inspired to grow a garden, see how far you can spring across the floor and more!
- 03/02 - Tom Pease: Kids in the Rotunda - Madison One of the series’ most popular performers, Tom Pease engages children with imaginative songs and humor. Families around the world love his recordings, especially on long car trips! The power of reading, the universal language of song and the healing effects of laughter are all messages found throughout his performance. Tom Pease’s show is highly animated, laced with songs and stories, leaving audiences with a renewed appreciation for their own sense of place and community.
- 03/03 - Celebrating Aldo Leopold - Madison As a young boy, Aldo Leopold loved to read and explore the land. He kept detailed notes and drew sketches. Following Leopold’s example, we will investigate the Arboretum and create journals for observations and sketches. Walk, 1:30–2:30 p.m., indoor activities, 2:30–3:30 p.m. Designed for families with children ages 3–11. Free, no registration required. Meet at the Visitor Center. Presented for Aldo Leopold Weekend.
- 03/09 - Verona Winter Market - Verona Welcome to the first Winter Market! Our vendors offer winter crops as well as dried and canned goods and gift items. Come down to the Chamber Offices and see what we have to offer!
- 03/10 - Mud Season Family Walk - Madison Learn about changes to the plants, animals, and ground we walk on as spring approaches. Walk designed for families with children ages 3–11. Free, no registration required. Meet at the Visitor Center.
- 3/14 & 3/28 - Storytime at the Wisconsin Historical Museum - Madison Bring your kids to the Museum for fun stories that celebrate diversity, friendship and community! Each program will feature a book, hands-on time in the Museum and a craft to take home. 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month from 10:30 AM - 11:15 AM. Reservations not necessary except for groups of 10 or more. Perfect for teachers, parents and grandparents with kids ages 2-5!
- 03/16 - Solomon Carter Fuller Brain Health Brunch - Fitchburg Learn how to live life like it’s golden! Join us for the 9th Annual Solomon Carter Fuller event, held each year to build awareness of Alzheimer's disease in the African American Community. This year's Brain Health Brunch will include a free community brunch, wellness fair, performance by The "Amazing Grace" Chorus, caregiver education workshops, healthy food demonstration and memory screenings.
- 03/17 - Young at Art - Madison Organized biennially, Young at Art presents works of art by Madison Metropolitan School District students in kindergarten through grade 12. The exhibition is the result of a long-standing collaboration between MMoCA and the school district’s Arts Education Department. For the exhibition, each of Madison’s public school art teachers was invited to submit up to three works of art for the exhibition, including individual works as well as those made collaboratively. Young at Art calls attention to children’s creative potential and to the scope and variety of individual expression.
- 03/17 - St. Patrick's Day Parade - Madison Welcome to Madison’s St Patrick's Day Parade celebration! It’s time for "the wearing of the green!” The St. Patrick’s Day Parade Committee invites you to participate in the 2019 parade around Madison’s beautiful Capitol Square. We welcome all to participate as we celebrate the Irish culture.
- 03/21 - Good Neighbor Nights - Middleton Join us the 3rd Thursday of each month as Downtown Middleton restaurants and retailers celebrate a fun monthly evening market! Specials, pop-ups and extended hours - shops will stay open until 9 pm!
- 03/22 - Fitch-Rona Art Crawl - Fitchburg/Verona Across multiple art forms and spaces, 18 artists will create an original piece of art in real-time over the two-day Fitch-Rona Art Crawl in March. Each at a sponsoring Fitchburg or Verona business, artists compete for top cash prizes by creating a single piece of artwork over Friday, March 22 and Saturday, March 23, 2019. A Live Art Competition & Reception featuring the finished works of art will be held Saturday, March 23 from 4PM – 6PM at Yahara Bay Distillers in Fitchburg. The winning artists’ entry will be announced at the conclusion of the reception with free live music by Spare Animals following. Attendees who visit at least five of the live art locations and submit a completed passport may qualify to win a gift basket of locally-made artisan goods.
- 03/24 - All About Birds Family Nature Program - Madison This time of year, many birds are on the move. Learn about migration, why some birds make the journey while others do not, and which ones you might see in your yard. Walk, 1:30–2:30 p.m., indoor activities, 2:30–3:30 p.m. Designed for families with children ages 3–11. Free, no registration required. Meet at the Visitor Center.
- Saturdays - All Ages Improv Show - Madison - Free-$7 This one-hour show is packed with fast-paced, short-form improv comedy! Audience participation is guaranteed, and content is appropriate for kids and grown-ups who like clean comedy. This show is held in the basement level at Glass Nickel Pizza Company, 2916 Atwood Avenue, Madison where a full menu and bar are available before and during the show. *Kids under 3 get in FREE! All children must have a ticket. Please select free children’s ticket at check out.
- 03/01 - Yes Ma'am - Madison - $10 A lightning-fast game of Gifts provides the inspiration for free-form scene work in “Yes Ma’am”, the new Improv Lab show created by the women of Monkey Business! This show is held in the basement level at Glass Nickel Pizza Company where a full menu and bar are available before and during the show.
- 03/01 - Crafts & Croissants featuring Wildewood Shop - Madison - $10 Shake up your usual morning routine and escape the winter doldrums at Revel. Grab a bestie (or three!) and join us for this fun and relaxing morning. Here’s what you can expect: Fresh-baked croissants and breakfast pastries from Batch Bakehouse, Mimosas mixed to order using our famous prosecco on tap, 10:00am: Tips & Tricks from Kate Holl at Wildewood Shop for improving your houseplant game and creating an indoor green space to get you through these dreary months.
- 3/1-3/2 - How I Became a Pirate - Madison - $28-$38 Yo-ho! Ahoy Mateys! Join Captain Braidbeard and his comical crew of pirates as they enlist young Jeremy Jacobs' help to find the perfect spot to bury their treasure. Jeremy finds that adventuring can be lots of fun, but also learns that love and home are treasures you can't find on any map! Our youngest audiences - and their grownups - will love this delightful, swashbuckling musical!
- 3/1-3/3 - The King & I - Madison - $35-$135 Set in 1860’s Bangkok, the musical tells the story of the unconventional and tempestuous relationship that develops between the King of Siam and Anna Leonowens, a British schoolteacher whom the modernist King, in an imperialistic world, brings to Siam to teach his many wives and children.
- 03/02 - Strike Out Lupus Bowling Fundraiser - Fitchburg - $15-$25 Strike Out Lupus is a fundraiser to benefit the Lupus Foundation of America, Wisconsin Chapter. It is a family fun event that includes: 9 Pin Tap, a "Proud to Wear Purple" contest, our famous Bucket Raffles and other prizes! Your registration includes bowling and a Pizza & Soda buffet! This event is a great way to raise lupus awareness, and vital funds for research, so that we can find the cause and cure for lupus. Lupus is a mysterious and sometimes deadly autoimmune disease that leads to inflammation and tissue damage to any organ of the body, including the heart, lungs, brain, kidneys, blood, joints and skin.
- 3/2-3/3 - Madison Kids Expo - Madison - Free-$8 Learn, explore + play together as a family at the Madison Kids Expo! Enjoy hands-on educational and interactive fun your kids won't want to miss! Plan your kids' summer activities, find information on the latest products and services to keep everyone from newborns to teens healthy and happy, enjoy bounce houses, live animals, kids performances, fire trucks, and much more!
- 03/09 - Badger Explorations: Diggin' Archaeology - Madison - $2-$10 Discover how archaeologists piece together the past to learn how people lived hundreds and even thousands of years ago, and work like an archaeologist to uncover what you may leave behind!
- 3/9-3/10 & 3/16-3/17 - Tibet through the Red Box - Madison - $30-$40 A father and son are reunited in this remarkable true story. While in Tibet, Peter’s father Vladimir is lost in an avalanche, leaving young Peter back in Prague, struggling to make sense of his father’s absence. Vladimir fills a red box with letters to his son. A mysterious boy finds Vladimir and magically delivers the letters to this son, creating an amazing chain of events. Featuring Tibetan music and culture, this young adult drama will fascinate teens and adults alike.
- 03/11 - Cat Video Fest - Madison - $12.50 CatVideoFest is a compilation reel of the latest and best cat videos culled from countless hours of unique submissions and sourced animations, music videos, and, of course, classic internet powerhouses. CatVideoFest is a joyous communal experience, only available in theaters, and raises money for cats in need through partnerships with local cat charities, animal welfare organizations, and shelters to best serve cats in the area.
- 03/20 - Wild & Scenic Film Festival - Madison - $12-$30 Get your tickets to Madison’s 12th annual Wild & Scenic Film Festival on March 20th at The Barrymore Theatre, presented by River Alliance of Wisconsin. Revel in the wonders of our natural world with this year’s new, award-winning film line up. Tickets to this popular event sold out last year, so grab yours early! Pre-party 5:30 p.m. – 6:15 p.m. Doors open 6:15 p.m. VIP tickets include films, pre-party, and one free drink.
Sips & Snacks
- Sundays - Beatles Brunch - Madison - Free Admission Every Sunday from 10a.m. to 2p.m, enjoy classic Beatles music videos and other songs you'll want to sing along to during a great brunch featuring bottomless mimosas and a bloody mary bar!
- Thursdays - Garden to Glass Experience: Totally Tropical - Madison - $26.87 Escape to the tropics and explore the Bolz Conservatory at Olbrich Botanical Gardens. Get an insider view of this tropical oasis and learn about rainforest plants, and the people that curate and maintain this unique indoor garden. Learn about the acquisition of plants from around the world, and everyday products you use in your home created with ingredients from different tropical plant species. Along the way, you'll see plants both familiar and unusual. From towering palm trees to tiny carnivorous plants, more than 650 species of tropical plants call the Conservatory home. The 50-foot-high glass pyramid also features a rushing waterfall, free flying canopy birds, and fragrant orchids. Enjoy a signature cocktail created with ingredients sourced from rainforest plants. Take home a Garden to Glass souvenir cup along with recipes for more botanically inspired drinks. Perfect for individuals, couples, or small groups of friends! $25 per person, includes tour & signature cocktail and glass.
- Wednesdays - Tunes, Taps, & Tacos - Madison - Free Admission Every Wednesday at The Wise: Choose from 5 types of specialty tacos, sip on select Wisconsin Brewing Company draft beers, and listen to house musician Pat Ferguson Music!
- 03/02 - Essen Haus Chili Cookoff - Madison - Free-$10 Calling all chili enthusiasts! The Essen Haus is hosting its 6th Annual Mad City Chili Cookoff on Saturday, March 2. Enjoy unlimited samples of 15 chili recipes prepared by talented home chefs, and don't forget to vote for your favorite, because YOU decide the people's choice champion.
- 03/03 - "Behind the Brews" Brewery Tours - Waunakee - $10 This exclusive behind the brews tour will take place the first Sunday of each month at 11: 30 am. Meet The Lone Girl Brewing Company owners and/or brewer and learn more about who we are and what we do. Your $10 ticket gives you a behind-the-brews glimpse into our brewhaus and a tour provided by our brewmaster, John Russell. Following the tour, you’ll get to taste your way through a flight of three fresh-brewed Lone Girl Brewing Company craft beers. Tickets must be purchased in advance online.
- 03/05 - Fat Tuesday Party at the Essen Haus - Madison - Free Admission It's time to get out that green, gold & purple attire, because Fat Tuesday is right around the corner! The Essen Haus is ditching their German roots for the evening to throw a Mardi Gras party fit for kings (and queens). A New Orleans-inspired menu will be available from 3 p.m.-10 p.m., with favorites like jerk chicken, jambalaya, seafood gumbo and many more. The party also will feature Bacardi Silver Hurricanes, all night happy hour drink specials, beads and free live music from Copper Box and the Foo Foo Dolls. Plus, a Mardi Gras edition of Tuesday night trivia starts at 8:30pm in another area of the restaurant.
- 03/07 - Jammin with Jameson - Madison - $5 Live music presented by Jameson J. Marsden, Karen Wheelock, Skyalr Nahn, and One Human Band. Doors open at 8:30. Tickets are $5, and $3 Jamesons. Giving away a trip for 2 to Chicago!
- 03/08 - Three Floyds Tap Takeover - Madison - Free Admission Join us on Friday, March 8th for a Three Floyds Tap Takeover! Yes, we will have Zombie Dust but also a killer lineup of rare and fun barrels! Hourly raffles starting at 6pm but on tap all day!
- 03/16 - Annual Beatles Jam - Madison - Free Admission It’s that time of year again when The Rigby is taken over by Beatle’s Jammers! Saturday, March 16th starting at 2pm the public is welcome in singing and playing in the jam. We are serving up corned beef and cabbage where one dollar of every one sold goes to Second Harvest Food Bank. We are also asking guests to bring non-perishables to The Rigby all month of March but especially on the 16th for donations to the bank. Green beer, Irish Mist, Irish Car Bombs, and Irish Coffee are all on the menu!
- 03/02 - Freeze for Food - Madison Join the RPCVs of Wisconsin-Madison in celebration of Peace Corps Week for our 38th annual Freeze for Food. Run or walk to raise funds to support programs of Madison’s Open Doors for Refugees! Open Doors for Refugees is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting the resettlement of refugees in the Madison area and welcoming them into the community. All proceeds from Freeze for Food will be used for relief efforts for incoming refugees.
- 3/2, 3/9, 3/16, & 3/23 - Restoration Work Parties at the Arboretum - Madison Volunteer for restoration activities and learn about prairies and savannas. Tools and training provided. Groups welcome with advance notice.
- 3/14-3/16 - Shamrock Shuffle - Madison Wear Your Green, Raise Some Green! The Madison Shamrock Shuffle is a 5k/10k Walk/Run benefiting the Boys & Girls Club of Dane County every year around St. Patrick’s Day. To date, you’ve helped raise over $250,000 to serve more youth! Thank you to all past & future participants!
- 03/14 - Preschool Arts & Crafts at the Senior Center - Madison Do you love kids, but not their messes? Volunteer at the Madison Senior Center once a month guiding preschoolers in a craft project. We do the planning, provide the supplies, and the mess stays here.
- 03/17 - St. Patrick's Day Parade - Madison The St. Patrick’s Parade Committee of Madison is always looking for people interested in helping with the annual parade. Volunteers are needed to help plan and coordinate the parade and to help with activities on parade day.
- 03/30 - Dog Park Cleanup Day - Madison Do you love your dog park? Join other volunteers at Quann Park dog park on Saturday, March 30, 2019 from 10am to 12pm. No registration required, just come out to the park located at 1802 Quann-Olin Pkwy.
Search the Blog
CategoriesCareer Advice Cash Store News Cash Store Products and Offers Credit Cards Credit Scores and Reports Education Holidays and Special Occasions Infographics Money Management and Financial Literacy Money Saving Tips Philanthropy Uncategorized
How Much Can I Get?
USE OUR CALCULATOR TO FIND OUT
QUICK AND EASY
Save time in the store by applying online.
By completing submission you agree to Cash Store Terms. Cash Store will send you communications and product announcements targeted to your interests. You may opt-out at any time.