How You Can Help in the Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy
by David Sung
Many of us have seen the images of the devastation left by Hurricane Sandy. We've heard stories about communities affected by the storm. As the residents in the impacted regions begin to recover and rebuild their communities, there are ways you can help even if you don’t live there. You can consider making a monetary contribution or donating blood.
If you decide to make a monetary donation, be sure you give to a credible charity. You should also be cautious of e-mail solicitations and charities that spring up overnight. Charity Navigator offers additional tips for giving in times of crisis.
In addition to giving money, consider donating blood to the American Red Cross. You can donate blood through your local American Red Cross branch.
Here is a list of several groups that seek financial donations to assist with their relief efforts:
- Waves for Water: Led by Pro Surfer Jon Rose, Waves for Water delivers clean water to poverty stricken and environmentally devastated areas around the world. They are currently accepting financial assistance to provide residents along the east coast with basic essentials and to help clear the storm's damage.
- Interfaith Food Pantry Serving Morris County (New Jersey): The non-profit organization is accepting online donations to help purchase food for those impacted by the disaster.
- Food Bank for New York City: The organization seeks online donations to help support its emergency fund established to help those affected by the hurricane.
- The Humane Society: The Humane Society has set up a disaster relief fund to offer critical assistance for animals and families in New Jersey and New York. The organization is accepting online donations.
- American Red Cross: In addition to blood donations, the American Red Cross seeks financial contributions that will help the organization provide food, shelter and emotional support to people affected by Hurricane Sandy.
- Hope for New York: The organization offers several options to assist with relief efforts, including online donations.
- Salvation Army: The Salvation Army is providing food, clean-up kits, as well as emotional and spiritual support to those affected by the hurricane. The group is accepting online donations.
Search the Blog
CategoriesCareer Advice Cash Store News Cash Store Products and Offers Credit Cards Credit Scores and Reports Education Holidays and Special Occasions Infographics Money Management and Financial Literacy Money Saving Tips Philanthropy Uncategorized
How Much Can I Get?
USE OUR CALCULATOR TO FIND OUT
QUICK AND EASY
Save time in the store by applying online.
By completing submission you agree to Cash Store Terms. Cash Store will send you communications and product announcements targeted to your interests. You may opt-out at any time.